Do You Need a Passport to Fly Domestically?

posted in: reviews | 0
passport requerements domestic flights
  • If you live in Minnesota and American Samoa you need a U.S. passport for domestic flights as well as for international flights starting in January 2016.

Three states: Louisiana, New Hampshire and New York have received REAL ID extensions through September 2016.

REAL ID Act set up standards for state-issued driver’s and identification cards acceptable by federal agencies for ‘official purposes.’

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), “no sooner than 2016,” residents of non-compliant states will no longer be allowed to present state-issued driver’s licenses as identification for air travel, but instead will be required to present “alternative forms of identification – such as a U.S. Passport.”

Wednesday, Minnesota’s Department of Public Safety told CNNMoney “As soon as January 2016, Minnesotans may not be allowed to board federally regulated commercial aircraft using a Minnesota driver’s license or ID card.”
If you reside in one of non-compliant state and plan to travel in 2016 I strongly recommend you to obtain your U.S. passport as soon as possible.

If you resign in states that received extension but your cruise and flight is after extension is expired please apply for the passport also.

Compliant States and Territories:

  • Alabama
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • DC
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • Ohio
  • S. Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

States and territories who have an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states until October 10, 2016

  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Idaho
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Texas
  • Virginia

States and Territories who have an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states, until June 1, 2016

  • New Hampshire

States and Territories under review for an extension renewal, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states, until at least January 10, 2016 under a grace period

Compliant/Extension States/Territories:

  • Alaska
  • California
  • Guam
  • Illinois
  • Maine
  • Mass.
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico

Please be advised that is information is correct as on October 16, 2015. For additional information contact DHS directly.

It is critical to have a trusted travel consultant that cares about you and your documents. If you are looking for one – call us at 772 777-1337 and ask for Donna Salazano, This is the best time investment either.

Get Started Today!

Each trip starts with a first step. Fill out this form and we will contact you shortly.
  • If possible, give us as many details: where, how many guests, for how long, how many suites, dates or time frame.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Follow Nadia Jastrjembskaia:

Elite Cruise Counselor

Nadia Jastrjembslaia. PhD. is a CLIA certified Cruise Counselor in the highest rank of Elite Cruise Counselor and Luxury Cruise Specialist. CLIA stands for Cruise Line International Association. She is a managing director of Aurora Cruises and Travel - storefront cruise travel agency in Port St. Lucie, Florida. She experienced more than 80 cruise ships and sailings. Nadia is a published author with her new book Suite Cruising on Royal Caribbean Fleet is scheduled to hit market in March 2016.

Latest posts from